Buy my photos!

Notecards for $2.40

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Soap Operas in Vietnam


Ky Tuc Xa - Click here for more free videos

I've been going to my coffee shop friend's house once or twice a week for lunch. They always cook a delicious vegetarian spread for me. I try to bring them fruit or other goodies to help contribute to the feast. While we eat, they try to teach me the words for the various foods that we're eating.

After lunch, we've taken to watching soap operas on TV. The best translation I've found for "soap opera" is "social drama broadcast regularly". In Vietnamese, they just say "phim", supposedly a translation of the French word "film".

Watching soap operas is a great way to connect with my new friends, helping to reach beyond the language barrier. I can't understand what they're saying on the show of course, but it's not difficult to understand the overall plot. This man is cheating on his wife. That woman is excited about getting married. It's the same the world over.

No comments: